Sunday, June 8, 2008

Make 'm Smile 2008

On Saturday, Eli got to be one of the VIP's at Nathanial's Hope Make 'm Smile stroll around Lake Eola. Our morning started bright and early seeing as to which the stroll started at 7:30am in downtown Orlando. Fadi and I talked about how we wanted to be there right at the beginning so it wasn't so hot and the lines would be short. However, in true "G" fashion, we left the house at 7:30. Getting all my boys ready, and I do mean all of my boys, shows to be a true task on some days.

The Make 'M Smile stroll is a very nice event in which they pair you up with a Buddy (someone else in the community that does not have special needs) and you take a stroll around Lake Eola. It is supposed to be a person to help make your day and help your VIP have a great day. We were paired up with a lady named Yvette and her teenage son. She is a special ed teacher in Orange County for K-3rd graders. She said she has two children in her class with similar needs to Eli. She used to be a regular teacher, but now prefers the special needs kids because they are not disrespectfull like the typical children in the school system. I couldn't agree more. She brought her son along because she wanted him to see that the world is not all about him and that life is about helping those who need it. I think that is a wonderful thing to teach your child, and there couldn't be a more appropriate venue.





There are a lot of vendors there too. Sea World, Unviersal, and Z 88.3 radio for starters. Sea World had some of their animals there for all to encounter. Kaden and I chose to encounter none other than a Screech Owl. Eli and Fadi on the otherhand, chose to encounder the alligator. I love Eli's "are you sure about this, dad?" face.

After Make 'm Smile, we headed home and all took a nap. It is amazing how much the sun can wipe you out. So, all in al,l we had a great weekend. We even got to enjoy lunch with my Dad on Sunday, as he drove through town.

1 comment:

The Greens said...

We went to a Make Em Smile event when I was pregnant! It was so hot out there, and I'm surprised I didn't get sick.
Kayden and Eli are getting so big. Can't wait to see you guys soon.