Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Solids



This past week we have been trying some solid foods with Kaden. Don't really know why they call it solid. It's food but surely not solid food. I think they should call it purees. Solids makes me think table food. The doctor told me at 4 months we could start him on solids if we wanted, but since he seemed just fine with milk we held off. I can only imagine the spit up stains after we start peaches and other foods with lovely colors.
We started him trying out oatmeal. Kaden has some constipation issues (yes, I knew you wanted to know this). So, the doctor suggested we kinda skip rice cereal.
I started out trying just 1 Tbsp of oatmeal and he didn't even get that down before he started the arching and wiggling. After a few more attempts we are now at about 4 or 5 baby spoons. He really doesn't seem interested in eating it off the spoon. He would prefer to grab the spoon, pull the food off with his hands, and then place the whole fist with the food on it in his mouth. I am hoping that after he starts to like it, the hands will fall more to the sides. It's a pain fighting with his hands before I even get near his mouth.
I also added peaches in last night after some suggestions from friends. This went over much much better. I am still not getting a whole lot of bites but at least it's progress.
Below is the picture of his newest toy. Kaden loves to stand up when you are trying to hold him or burp him. So, we figured maybe the jumperoo was the thing for him. Thank you very much to LeighAnn who is letting us borrow it! This little gold fish loves it, at least for his little gold fish attention span. While in it, he looks up at the birds, spins the balls, and seems to enjoy it. Then with a snap of the fingers, "Waaa" get me out, I am done. It keeps him occupied just long enough for me to get a few things done around the house, but not long enough to watch Dr. Phil, bummer.

1 comment:

Jessica Tuggle said...

I love the picture of Kaden eating, he looks so grown up!