I guess Edema is another word for swelling. Lets start there.
I went to change Eli's diaper about a month ago and totally freaked out. Called the doctor's after hour line, took a picture and sent it to my mom, and waited for them both to call and help. Fadi was at a bible study so I emailed him the picture and too waited. Mom was the first to call, "What the heck, did you call the doctor!!?. Yes mom, I did, thank you very much. (picture below)
Then the doctor called and I explained the symptoms, "My three year old has an enlarged donut like swelling around his circumcision sight." and he said, "no big deal sounds fine." So, I took his doctorly advice and told everyone who saw the picture no worries. Doc says it's fine. Although hard to accept after seeing it.Then I sent him to PPEC the next day. The nurses called and said it was getting worse and they were very worried and had never seen anything like it before. So, I took Eli in so the doctor could see personally his "no big deal" problem. The doctor said it could have been a bug bite and again, no big deal. I had a hard time accepting that explanation and I kept thinking, "yeah, wait till you get bit down there by a bug. Then see if you (or your wife) tell yourself no big deal." But, just like the doctor said, it went away in about a week. He termed it Penile Edema with no know cause.
Then on Saturday morning it was back with a vengeance.
So, this morning I took him to a different doctor hoping they had more experience with Penile Edema :) But again, they said it was no big deal. Just some fluid being retained and to give him Benadryl. He did say that if it happens again, he would give me the name of a Urologist. Just add this to the list of things neither I, nor anyone else I know, have ever heard of until Eli came along. This little guys just teaches us soo much!! And now you too!Eli just never gets a break, poor guy. Good thing he can't see or he might have freaked out too.


No comments:
Post a Comment