Friday, January 5, 2007

January 5, 2007

Happy New Year!! I can hardly believe that a full year has passed. I have always heard that you should cherish your children while they are young as they grow up fast. I never fully understood that until this year.

Particularly this Christmas, I have been encouraged by the Story of Jesus' Birth. Often times we wonder why God would allow us to endure situations that bring us hardship and yet He tells us “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:28. After looking at the Story of Mary and Joseph, you can see that Mary endured many, many hardships. First she became pregnant before marriage and become an outcast to society. Then she had to travel over 120 miles by donkey and foot at 9 months pregnant. Now tell me who would enjoy that!! And, not to mention she had to endure her son being sought out and crucified. And I am sure these are just a few. However, in all of this, God had a wonderful plan of salvation for ALL OF US. I am sure Mary did not see where God’s love and grace were while she had to travel so far in the most undesirable conditions. However, it was everywhere. I can tell you for sure, God has a wonderful plan for all of us. However, we must willfully follow and trust him, just as Mary did.

Our Christmas was very nice. Eli did great in the car and was awake and alert Christmas Eve; which is when we do most of our get-togethers. For his birthday, we had a relaxing day and enjoyed being together. We didn’t have a party for Eli—Yes, I know, I know. Well, with it being Christmas it is very hard to get people together for yet another party…so maybe we will do the ½ thing. I have read that a lot of people who have children right around Christmas do a ½ Birthday Party in June. Eli did get some wonderful gifts, lots of clothes and shoes, which were much appreciated.

Now for the medical updates. Eli had the Swallow Study done and it showed that he is silently aspirating on thin liquids. One of the thin liquids is his formula….so we have had to thicken all of his foods and liquids to a honey consistency. This seems to be working as I don’t see him cough as much. However, since he is not getting as much pure liquid as he used to, he has become extremely constipated. This is very sad because you can see how much pain he is in. We will go for a full Upper GI study in a few weeks to see if the aspirating is causing food to accumulate in his lungs and then we will have consultation with a GI specialist to give us some more direction. After this, I am hoping they refer us to a nutritionist to get Eli on a special diet, other than a pure formula diet. Eli will be going down to Bascom Palmer once again on Jan 12 for a EUA-Exam under Anesthesia. Maybe they will do retina reattachment this time? He seems to be responding less to light, but I did put him under the Christmas Tree and I think he was looking at the lights!?! Who knows, maybe it was just me being hopeful.

We had a short set back with Children’s Medical Services. They had only approved Eli for three months of PPEC (his special day care) and that ran out at the end of the year. So, I had to apply for Medicaid Medically Needy Share of Cost. Which, praise!!! We finally got! So, Eli went back to school today after two weeks off.

At Eli’s one year appointment he was in the 25% for Height and Weight - a whooping 20 lbs. So, even with his feeding issues we are getting the job done.

No comments: