Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Faith not Sight

Today as I read my devotional I came across words that spoke directly to my heart. I feel as if they were written just for me. Word for word . As I read each sentence I couldn’t help but want to highlight and say me, that’s me, I need this!!

“I found myself asking God, “Lord, what things do I need to walk by faith in, and not by sight?”. For the next several minutes, with each exhale of breath, God brought something to mind that I needed to have a stronger faith about. A family member’s chronic illness. A friend’s job search. A damaged relationship. Someone whom I needed to forgive. Raising my children. Marriage. Health concerns. The war. Who would lead our country. The future.

It became crystal clear to me in that moment, that I rarely walk by faith regarding issues of great concern. It seems that when the burdens get heavy, I try to carry them on my own. I fret and worry. I imagine the worst case scenario. I try to determine what I can do to remedy the problem. I waste time wishing things were different. When what I should be doing is giving God the opportunity to do His work. Worrying will not change a thing, but faith can change everything.

Walking by faith and not by sight, does not mean we need to walk around with our physical eyes closed, but that we need to live with the eyes of our heart open. God wants us to put our faith in Him, believing with full confidence that He will take care of the obstacles, guide us around the problems, and carry us through to the end. The NIV version of 2 Corinthians 5:7 puts it this way, “We live by faith, not by sight.” We are not commanded to merely walk by faith, but live by faith, each and every day.

If you are like me, I want to not only walk by faith, but run by faith. I want to have the type of faith in Christ that will allow me to close my physical eyes, and see through the eyes of my heart instead, while running full force ahead with no fear.”

Power Verses: Matthew 6:34, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (NIV)

Excerpt from July 23, 2008 Proverbs 31 Devotional, Running By Faith by Tracie Miles

2 comments:

Beth said...

cheryl,
Thank yo so much for that. It spoke to me, too, in ways many will never understand.

Beth

The Greens said...

That was very good! Matthew 6:31-33, have become some of the verses that I lean heavily on when I start to freak out. *Which I do often. This year has a been a true test of faith for me. I can't even assume to include Josh in this because I truly believe that God is working on me, SPECIFICALLY ME! I know that if tomorrow something happens, there is a 85% chance that I'll freak out again, but I do this less often than I ever have before. Satan knows EXACTLY how to discourage me...and your devotional was an AWESOME reminder for me today! Thank you for posting it.