In my particular case this involves a "Missed Miscarriage": Women can experience a miscarriage without knowing it. A missed miscarriage is when embryonic death has occurred but there is not any expulsion of the embryo. It is not known why this occurs. Signs of this would be a loss of pregnancy symptoms and the absence of fetal heart tones found on an ultrasound.
For the time being we are choosing "Expectant Management": The medical term for choosing a natural miscarriage rather than ending a nonviable pregnancy through D & C or medical induction of the miscarriage.
On Monday February 8th I went in for a routine OB appointment at 10 weeks where I was simply expecting a Pap and to listen to the heartbeat. I had plans to return to work afterwards, but my afternoon was thrown way off course.
First off, I-4 traffic was terrible and I arrived 15 minutes late; something which I don't like to do and makes my blood pressure rise. After settling into the office, the nurse tried to find the heartbeat with the Doppler and could not. She reassured me "no worries, sometimes I am just not good at getting this". Then the doctor came in did her usual stuff and then tried to find the heartbeat as well, with no success. She again reassured me "your uterus has grown since your last visit, you'll be fine, but we can do an ultrasound so you can hear the heart beat and be reassured".
Upon seeing the ultrasound image on their lovely wide screen flat panel TV, I knew what was coming before she even said anything. I could see my little baby head, arms, legs and all. However, they were floating lifelessly like I have never seen before. Typically in my experience, anytime I have seen my children on the screen their arms and legs are moving a million miles an hour like they have ants in their pants. This baby remained still. Also, I have always seen a little black center that flickers right where their little heart is. This baby had no black circle and no flickering.
She turned the monitor off and grabbed my hand and said "I am soo sorry". She told me that the baby was still measuring on target (10 weeks) so it must have lost it's heart beat in just the past few days. I cried for a little bit and the doctor then explained my options. I listened then asked if I could please have a picture and she obliged. She lead me out a back door so I didn't have to see all the pregnant women in the waiting room and told me to call her in the morning with any questions and to let her know what I wanted to do about it.
I called Fadi and sat in the car for a while. I figured it wasn't too safe to drive around with my eyes filled with tears. It does make it hard to see.
So, for now we are just waiting. Once I pass it if enough tissue is viable they may be able to test it for the chromosomal abnormalities that Eli has to see if that was the cause. But the doctor said it just happens sometimes and they may not be able to find the cause.
"For I am the LORD your GOD, who takes hold of your right hand, and say's do not fear, for I will help you" Isaiah 41:3
"When we go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through the rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames wil not consume you. For I AM the LORD you GOD, and the HOLY ONE of Israel, your SAVIOR." Isaiah 43:2-3



4 comments:
You have experienced more grief in a few years than many will endure in a lifetime. I can't imagine dealing with anything like this involving my children. They are, truly, extensions of our souls, and it hurts deeply when something happens to one of them. Your post made me cry. I'm so sorry you and Fadi are going through this, and I pray for your peace deep within as you wait for what comes next.
--Kelley
Oh my goodness Cheryl. My prayers are with you and your family. I am so tremendously saddened to hear about your precious unborn baby. My heart goes out to you. I ask the mighty Lord to heal you emotionally, physically, and spiritually as you go through this journey.
Linda
Cheryl you and Fadi are in our prayers. I am so sorry for you guys please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Praying for you and Fadi- just breaks my heart. I'm SO sorry =*( The Lord has great things for all of you. Love ya!
Post a Comment